Announcing Our Grow Fit™ Recipe Winners!
We asked and you answered. We received hundreds of your favorite child-friendly and easy-to-prepare recipes for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner and have narrowed it down to these four outstanding winners! These delicious recipes were reviewed by our registered dietician and taste-tested by our children in our schools. We’re sure your family will enjoy these nutritious ideas as much as we did.
Breakfast Winner: Courtney S., Lewisville, TX
– A nutritious, sugar-free breakfast that’s loaded with healthy omega 3’s and is a cinch to make, especially when you’ve prepared and frozen the oatmeal, berries and bananas ahead of time!
- ½ cup cooked organic oatmeal
- 3 tbsp. cooked organic berries*
- 3 tbsp. diced organic bananas
- 2 tsp. organic ground flax seed
*For cooked organic berries: Heat a mixture of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and any other berry over medium heat for 10 minutes. Use a masher to mash them up a bit.
- Combine all the ingredients above and enjoy!
Lunch Winner: Pamela V., Astoria, NY
Peanut Noodles with Chicken and Veggies
– An easy-to-prepare lunch for four that can be made ahead of time and served room temperature or cold.
- 1/3 cup reduced fat peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3 to 4 tbsp. hot water
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta (any shape), cooked according to package directions, drained and rinsed
- Meat from half of a rotisserie chicken, skin removed, chopped or shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned or shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ medium cucumber, julienned
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and honey.
- Stir to combine. Slowly pour in hot water until sauce is of a desired consistency.
- In a larger bowl, combine pasta, chicken, carrot, pepper and cucumber.
- Pour peanut butter sauce over pasta mixture and toss to combine.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
Dinner Winner: Jessica H., Wilmington, DE
Sweet Potato Burrito
– A delicious dinner for four that you can change up every time you make it by adding tomatoes, onions, olives or any other Tex-Mex filling!
- 1 to 2 sweet potatoes (depending on size, about 1 ½ lbs.)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 8 to 10 small whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup of shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut sweet potato in to chunks.
- Either steam or microwave until soft enough to mash.
- Mash with a fork and add all the spices and the lime juice.
- Mix well. Heat tortillas as directed on the package.
- Add corn and black beans to the sweet potato mixture and heat in the microwave for one minute, until hot.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons to each tortilla and add toppings (avocado and cheddar cheese).
- Roll up and enjoy!
Snack: Dawn M., Warren, PA
Cool as a Cucumber Dip with Crunch Pita Chips
– Kid-friendly and nutritious, this snack is perfect to curb your children’s appetites until the next meal.
- For the Dip:
- 2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp. reduced-fat crumbled Feta cheese
- For the Crunchy Pita Chips:
- 4 whole wheat pita bread pockets
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp. salt-free garlic and herb seasoning blend
- In a food processor, combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic.
- Process until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a bowl and add cucumbers and feta cheese.
- Stir until thoroughly combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- While the dip is chilling, prepare the pita chips.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice each pita pocket into 8 triangles.
- Lay the triangles evenly across a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly mist each triangle with the olive oil cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the spices evenly over the olive oil-coated triangles.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving with the cucumber dip.