By Nicole Spain, Registered Dietitian
Back to school is drawing near, and coming with it are busy mornings of getting kids off to school, traveling to sports practice or heading to piano rehearsal. Have these grab and go snacks ready for a quick and healthy bite on the go!
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bites
½ lb dry oats, cooked
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 oz dry oats
1 large bananas, peeled & mashed
¼ cup fresh strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook ½ lb of oatmeal according to package directions.
- Combine cooked oats with brown sugar, dry oats, banana and strawberries.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop onto a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
(Recipe is adapted from JTM Food Group: https://www.jtmfoodgroup.com/recipes/strawberry-banana-oatmeal-bites?pdf)
Egg Muffins On the Go!
1-2 cups shredded cheese (any variety you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional add-ins: green onions, diced turkey or ham, diced Canadian bacon, crumbled cooked turkey sausage, blanched broccoli, diced red peppers, sautéed zucchini or mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.Spray muffin pan with olive oil or non-stick spray. I prefer using silicone muffin pans.
- In the bottom of the muffin cups, layer optional items (diced meats, vegetables, etc.) and cheese. You will want the cups to be about 2/3 full with just enough room to pour egg around the other ingredients.
- Break eggs into a large measuring bowl with pour spout, add salt and pepper (if using) and beat well.
- Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is ¾ full. Slightly stir with a fork.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen, slightly browned and set.
- Egg muffins can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days. Reheat in microwave for less than a minute to warm them.
Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
4 eight-inch whole grain tortillas
1 cup pizza sauce
¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
36 mini pepperonis
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin or coat with non-stick spray.
- Working one at a time, lay tortilla on a flat surface. Using an empty can, cut 3-4 medium circles, pressing firmly enough in a rocking motion to cut through the tortilla.
- Fit a tortilla circle into each 12-muffin tins, pressing carefully to make sure there is an opening in the center. Scoop 1-tablespoon pizza sauce into each muffin tin. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan, topping with 3 pepperonis each.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve warm immediately or store in fridge for 3-5 days.
Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup peanut butter or sun nut butter
2/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups quick oatmeal, uncooked
¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed banana and sun nut butter until completely combined then add in the applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix again until completely combined.
- Add in the oatmeal and combine.Fold in the optional chocolate chips.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Drop the cookie dough, by spoonful onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and flatten into circles.
- Bake cookies approximately 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and done. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then move to a cooling rack.
- Store in a covered container.