If you’re planning to celebrate at home for New Year’s Eve, try getting the kids in the kitchen with you. Instead of a formal dinner, you can make these finger foods with your children’s help and serve them while playing games, doing crafts, or watching the ball drop! Try making one (or all) of these Grow Fit inspired recipes. Add an easy fresh fruit or veggie try to round out the snacks!
BBQ Chicken Calzone
Yields 6 servings
Precooked chicken ¼ lb
BBQ Sauce 6 tbsp
Tortillas (Whole grain) 6 each
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded 2 cups
- Place tortillas in a single layer on sheet pans, which have been lightly greased.
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tbsp BBQ sauce, 1/3 cup cheese and approximately ¼ cup chicken.
- Fold in half and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes, until heated and cheese is melted.
Cinnamon Sweet Ravioli
Yields 4-6 Servings
Ravioli (whole grain) 1 ½ lbs
Butter 1 Tbs
Cinnamon 1 Tbs
Brown Sugar 1 Tbs
- Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain ravioli.
- Melt butter and mix with brown sugar and cinnamon.Toss with ravioli.
Baked Tofu Fries
Tofu, firm 2 blocks
Mayonnaise ¼ cup
Breadcrumbs ¼ cup
Thyme 1/8 tsp
Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Place the blocks of tofu onto a baking tray (with lip) and place another tray on top.Set 3-5 lbs weight on top (a container filled with water works well).Press the tofu for 20-30 minutes, then drain off and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (375 for convection oven).
- Slice tofu into sticks (approximately 16 sticks from each block).
- Create an assembly line. In a shallow dish place the mayonnaise.In another shallow dish place the breadcrumbs and mix with thyme and salt/pepper.
- Use one hand to pick up a tofu stick, coat it with mayonnaise, and then drop on top of the breadcrumbs. Using the other hand coat the tofu with breadcrumbs. The key to keeping it as mess-free as possible is to have one hand dry and one hand wet.Continue this process until all tofu sticks are coated in breadcrumbs placing them on a lined or oil treated pan.
- Bake tofu sticks for 15 minutes and then turn over and bake for another 10 min.
- Serve with ketchup or marinara sauce for dipping.
Turkey Cranberry Pizza
Turkey Slices (chopped) ¾ lb.
Cream Cheese, warmed ¾ cup
Cranberry Sauce ¾ cup
Mozzarella Cheese ¾ lb.
WW Pitas (approx. 6” diameter) 8 each
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for convection ovens).
- Mix cream cheese and cranberry sauce together to form a “pink” cream cheese.
- Spread 2 Tbsp. cream cheese mixture on each pita.
- Equally divide turkey on top of the 8 pitas.
- Equally divide and top the turkey with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly (approx. 5-10 min)