Beans, beans the magical fruit… we won’t finish that (you already know how it ends). But we agree with the magic part! Legumes are a great source of fiber and protein. And utilizing beans as the star of mealtime means you can present your family with an easy vegetarian option that’s affordable and healthy, yet hearty and satisfying.
This recipe serves four to six people and is sure to be a hit with its simple flavors and easy preparation. Are you ready to get cooking? Let’s begin!
- 4 cans (15 oz.) black beans
- 1 ½ Tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz. carrots, shredded
- 1 medium red or green pepper, diced
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 ½ Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ Tbsp. oregano (dried or fresh)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Now it’s time to grab a stockpot and mix it all together:
- First, drain and rinse the beans. Set them aside.
- Add oil to your pot and use it to sauté the diced onion until translucent.
- Now add the shredded carrots and diced pepper. Sauté the mixture for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans to your pot. To help thicken the soup, use the back of a large spoon or spatula to mash about 25-50% of them.
- Now it’s time to add the rest of your ingredients. Stir in the water or vegetable stock, salsa, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the veggies are tender (about 15 minutes).
- To finish, add a dash of salt and/or pepper, to taste.
We hope your family enjoys each bowl of this warm, good-for-you soup. Be sure to let us know if you make it at home by snapping a photo and using #GrowFitAtHome in your caption online. Download the recipe card for future use!
*The original recipe can be found here, c/o the U.S. Department of Agriculture.